2020 LIVING CLASSROOM PROGRAMS
The LRCA is once again proud to be able to offer our popular Living Classroom Program in 2020, thanks to the continued generous support of the TD Friends of the Environment Foundation.
Due to COVID-19, the 2020 program will be offered in an altered form in a proactive attempt to better ensure compliance with physical distancing and the LRCA’s Health and Safety Policies.
Please take note of the following important points:
- There will be no formal presentation component at the LRCA Administrative Office as in prior years, as we are not able to provide adequate physical distancing in our Multi-Purpose Room. Each entire program will take place at a Conservation Area.
- The LRCA will not be providing bussing or transportation of any kind. It is the participant’s responsibility to get themselves to and from the field trip location.
- Participants will be limited to no more than 20 people per program, no exceptions.
- While every effort will be made to ensure adequate physical distancing, there may be times (such as along certain points along the trails) where this is not possible. As such, you will be required to wear a mask whenever adequate physical distancing is not possible.
- Regular hand-sanitizing is encouraged.
- By signing up for a program, you are agreeing to abide by the LRCA’s rules and safety measures, and you are agreeing to comply with any instruction from LRCA staff or expert guide.
- We appreciate your support, understanding, patience and cooperation.
Some other items to consider when planning on attending a Living Classroom Program:
- Dress appropriately for the weather
- Wear appropriate footwear
- Bring a hat
- Bring bug spray
- Bring sunscreen
- Bring water and a snack
- Programs run rain-or-shine (unless torrential downpour, thunder and lightning and/or unsafe winds)
- No dogs allowed on guided hikes
Please remember that the expert guides we have arranged for these programs are volunteering their time and expertise. We are greatly appreciative of their commitment to sharing their knowledge with us.
The tentative programming dates, topics and locations are as follows:
Sunday, September 13th - Fall Mushroom Hike at Hazelwood Lake; 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.EVENT IS NOW FULL
- Thursday, September 17th - Fish & Aquatics at LOCATION CHANGE: Mission Island Marsh
Hazelwood Lake; 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Thursday, September 24th - Birds & Birding at Mission Island Marsh; 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.EVENT IS NOW FULL
Thursday, October 1st - Fall Photography Workshop at Mission Island Marsh; 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.EVENT IS NOW FULL Saturday, October 3rd - Fall Waterfowl Viewing Day at Mission Island Marsh; 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.EVENT IS NOW FULL Thursday, October 8th - Trees & Fall Colours at Cascades; 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.EVENT IS NOW FULL Thursday, October 15th - Medicine Walk at Hazelwood Lake; 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.EVENT IS NOW FULL
TIME AND DATE CHANGE: Thursday, November 5th - iNaturalist & Bryophytes at Wishart Forest; 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.EVENT IS NOW FULL
NOTE: Event dates, times and topics are subject to change and/or cancellation.
These complimentary programs have once again been made possible through the generous sponsorship of the TD Friends of the Environment Foundation.
2020 FALL WATERFOWL VIEWING DAY
The 2020 Fall Waterfowl Viewing Day will be held from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. at Mission Island Marsh Conservation Area on Saturday, October 3. Join the LRCA and local expert birder Brian Ratcliff as we guide participants around the Conservation Area in search of migratory birds. No experience is necessary! Be sure to dress appropriately as this event runs rain-or-shine. Be sure to bring your binoculars, cameras and field guides.
Pre-registration is required and space is very limited!
EVENT IS NOW FULL
This free event is generously sponsored by Ontario Power Generation.