2019 LIVING CLASSROOM PROGRAMS
The LRCA will once again be hosting a series of outdoor programs over the course of six months, from May until October. Program topics to be determined.
- May 23, 2019 (Birds)
- June 27, 2019 (Wetlands)
- July 25, 2019 (Medicine Walk)
- August 22, 2019 (Survival)
- September 19, 2019 (iNaturalist)
- October 3, 2019 (Trees)
NOTE: Event dates, times and topics are subject to change.
These complimentary programs were once again made possible through the generous sponsorship of the TD Friends of the Environment Foundation.
2019 HAZELWOOD LAKE FAMILY FUN DAY
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at Hazelwood Lake Conservation Area
Join the LRCA at Hazelwood Lake Conservation Area on Sunday, July 21 for Hazelwood Lake Family Fun Day !
CASH ONLY for No. 7 Grannies Rustic Pizza
- Wilderness Supply will be offering free kayak, canoe and stand-up paddle board demos
- Skyline Falconry will be conducting a falconry demonstration at 11:30 a.m. (thanks to the generous support of the Nature Conservancy of Canada, who will also be in attendance)
- No. 7 Grannies Rustic Pizza will be offering pizza and drinks for sale (CASH ONLY)
- WAYfinder Trails & Recreation will be conducting guided hikes and GPS demos, as well as live demos of their new app
- Lakehead University CARIS will be conducting drone demonstrations throughout the day
- Additional displays and activities will be provided by EcoSuperior, Let’s Talk Science, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - Thunder Bay Centre and Ontario Nature
Please be sure to dress appropriately for the weather; bring your hats, sunblock, swim gear and bug spray, and be sure to have plenty of water with you. Note that the short trail down to the event (beach) area is not wheelchair accessible.
2019 SILVER HARBOUR DAY
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at Silver Harbour Conservation Area
Join the Lakehead Region Conservation Authority and the Municipality of Shuniah for Silver Harbour Day!
- Event details forthcoming!
Admission is free!
2019 FALL MUSHROOM HIKE
10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
The 2019 Fall Mushroom Hike will begin with a talk at the LRCA Administrative Office at 130 Conservation Road. Participants will then make their way to Mills Block Forest or Hazelwood Lake Conservation Area for a guided hike and mushroom identification. The presentation and guided hike will be led by our expert guest speaker, Dr. Leonard Hutchison of Lakehead University.
This event is free of charge, although pre-registration is required as space is limited.
***THE MUSHROOM HIKE IS NOW FULL!***
2019 TRAILS AND TAILS DOG ADOPTION FAIR
12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
The 2019 Trails and Tails Dog Adoption Fair will once again be held at Cascades Conservation Area! Join the LRCA and local rescues as we showcase adoptable pets and encourage responsible pet ownership (including on-leash recreation).
- Event details coming soon!
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS AN ON-LEASH EVENT. PETS ARE WELCOME BUT MUST REMAIN ON-LEASH AT ALL TIMES. ENFORCED UNDER CITY OF THUNDER BAY BY-LAW #71-1978.
2019 FALL WATERFOWL VIEWING DAY
The 2019 Fall Waterfowl Viewing Day will be held from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. at Mission Island Marsh Conservation Area on Saturday, October 12. Once again the LRCA and expert birders from the Thunder Bay Field Naturalists will guide participants around the Conservation Area in search of migratory birds. No experience is necessary! Be sure to dress appropriately as this event runs rain-or-shine. Be sure to bring your binoculars, cameras and field guides!
This free event is generously sponsored by Ontario Power Generation.